A unique program at Lancaster Bible College | Capital Seminary & Graduate School provides a pathway for students to earn both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in just five years total.
The 4+1 program, available in multiple academic departments on LBC | Capital’s Lancaster campus, has many benefits for students.
Bible & Theology
Students who choose to first earn a Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies within the Bible & Theology Department could also pursue the Master of Arts in Ministry (MAM) degree in a specified concentration or a Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (MABS) in a specified concentration.
According to Dr. Douglas Finkbeiner, Professor of Bible & Theology, within the MAM students could choose a concentration in Formational Children & Family Ministry, Leadership Studies or Pastoral Studies. Within the MABS, students have concentration options of Biblical Exposition, Christian Apologetics or a Theology concentration.
Learn more about the courses and programs within the Bible & Theology Department.
Communication & Media Arts
Students in the Communication program have the option to apply for the 4+1 program in Strategic Communication Leadership before or during their junior or senior year. This program allows a student to graduate with a Master of Arts degree in Strategic Communication Leadership (MASCL) in just two additional semesters.
“This program is ideal for those who sense that a position of leadership is in their future or who want to manage communication strategy for an organization,” said Ryan A. Geesaman, M.S., Chair of the Communication & Media Arts Department. “Graduates of the MASCL program will be ready to effectively lead communication teams and marketing communication efforts.”
Counseling & Social Work
Because a master’s degree is required in order to be a professional counselor, LBC | Capital’s 4+1 program in this academic arena offers many benefits to students.
Within counseling, LBC | Capital students can embark on 4+1 paths in the following areas:
- Addiction Counseling
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling
- Professional School Counseling
Likewise, LBC | Capital’s Master of Social Work degree enables social work majors to earn their Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree in four years, then add just one more year for the MSW degree, according to MSW Program Director Dr. Kurt Miller. Learn more about LBC | Capital’s MSW degree.
According to Dr. Julia Hershey, Associate Provost for Academics, the 4+1 option allows students to not only complete two levels of degrees, but they are also eligible for two Pennsylvania state certifications—all within five years.
Within the Education Department, the 4+1 program leads to a BSEd and MEd. Options are available in Early Childhood Education/English as a Second Language and Early Childhood Education/Special Education.
Ministry & Leadership
Leaders within the Church & Ministry Leadership Department communicate to students four main benefits of the 4+1 program:
- It can save time. Taking an undergraduate program then a graduate program afterward will typically take six years. The 4+1 program allows a student to potentially save an entire year of studies.
- It can save money. By reducing the total number of courses taken, the student also saves money. Because graduate tuition is charged per credit (not as a block as in undergraduate), fewer credits means less tuition.
- It can help a student stand out. An advanced degree may give an applicant an advantage when applying for jobs. For example, in vocational ministry, an earned master’s degree is considered a higher level of qualification than a bachelor’s degree by itself.
- It provides choices to fit a student’s unique ministry goals. One of the unique advantages of the 4+1 programs as they are designed for seminary degrees (MAM and MABS) is that students have choices. For example, an LBC | Capital student could choose from the following undergraduate degrees: Children & Family Ministry, Intercultural Studies, Pastoral Ministry, Women in Ministry Leadership or Youth & Young Adult Ministry AND choose from either the MAM or MABS. Within the MAM, they could additionally choose a concentration in Formational Children & Family Ministry, Leadership Studies or Pastoral Studies. Within the MABS, they could add on a concentration in Biblical Exposition, Christian Apologetics or Theology.
All told, that’s approximately 30 different combinations. Students should also keep in mind that 4+1 programs are not automatic. Students must apply and maintain a certain academic standard to both be accepted and to continue.
Learn more about all academic options within the Church & Ministry Leadership Department.